Delivered in a partnership between the LGA and the Design Council, the Design in Public Sector programme exists to equip councils with design skills and techniques to apply to their biggest service challenges.
The Design in Public Sector programme brings officers from across the public sector together to learn and apply strategic design approaches, such as prototyping and visual techniques, to deliver impact for local communities. They then receive the mentoring and guidance needed to implement new activity and tangible projects over a 120 day period and reconvene to share their knowledge.
Councils have used this programme to help them tackle some of the most pressing issues currently faced by public services.
- Reducing fuel poverty
- Tackling school parking issues
- Redesigning frontline services
- Creating an innovative staff culture
- Service transformation
- Integrating fire and policing services
- Improving life chances for under fives
- Reducing hospital admissions
- Improving prevention activities for vulnerable adults
- Reducing obesity and diabetes