The Making Safeguarding Personal Outcomes framework report (May 2018) underlines the importance of including qualitative information in developing an understanding the difference that safeguarding support makes for people.
The Making Safeguarding Personal Outcomes framework report (May 2018) underlines the importance of including qualitative information in developing an understanding the difference that safeguarding support makes for people. The report refers to the significance of case file audit within this.
Some examples of case file audit tools and guidance/methodologies are offered here. These have been shared by local authorities/Safeguarding Adults Boards where they might support others in developing audit methodologies.
The audit tools provide a range of approaches and strengths. They are shared in the spirit of mutual support with each offering support and ideas to those developing or revisiting approaches to audit. Each acknowledges the need to continually review and update the approach/tool as it is used in practice. They do not profess to offer perfection, rather a range of different approaches at varying levels of detail and some more specific to MSP than others.
- Multi-Agency Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) Audit for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland offers an example of a very detailed multiagency audit process for a selected small sample of cases. The audit was carried out across agencies with cases submitted for audit from across agencies. It included seeking the views of staff and of service users. The questions in relation to MSP from this very detailed multiagency audit are embedded on an ongoing basis in other themed audits carried out by the two SABs.
- Devon Safeguarding Adults Board; Safeguarding Adults Multi-Agency Case Audit Protocol offers an example of an audit tool / template and a methodology based around the six safeguarding adults statutory principles. It engages staff in learning through the audit process. It includes seeking the views of those who have been offered safeguarding support.
- London Borough of Newham audit tool and guidance offers a further example linking the audit to staff support and development. The approach was co-produced with staff. It has only been in use for a relatively short time and may, as its use indicates necessary, undergo adjustment. The tool indicates the importance of partnership working and staff development (including in the Mental Capacity Act) alongside a specific section of the audit which focuses on MSP.
- Case File Audit – Safeguarding - Quality Standards Guidance
- Multi agency safeguarding audit
- Draft case file audit tool SAB audit MSP February 2017