Whether it's shaping the European legislative and policy agenda, promoting democracy in the wider world or working with partners on the impact of globalisation on our cities and communities, UK local government is actively engaged in a range of European and international member organisations.
The focus of the LGA European and International's work is to support UK elected members from local government in order to enable them to play an effective role in these bodies. In many cases, the LGA provides the secretariat for the UK delegation. The main bodies we work with are:
- Committee of the Regions (COR)
- Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (Congress)
- Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR)
- United Cities and Local Government (UCLG).
In addition, LGA members are active on the following bodies:
- Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF)
- International Council of Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI).