Understanding commissioning: a practical guide for the culture and sport sector
Local Government (LG) Improvement and Development (now LGA) published a new guide designed to help people in the culture and sport sector understand the process of strategic commissioning in public services and how to engage in it to produce better outcomes for communities.
The document is designed to help those working in the sector:
- influence and engage in strategic commissioning corporately and within the local strategic partnership (LSP) where culture and sport has a significant contribution to make
- commission culture and sport services to deliver these outcomes at the operational level.
It aims to provide culture and sport organisations with greater understanding of strategic commissioning, the opportunities and challenges, and some tools to operate more effectively in the context of modern public service delivery.
We have also developed a series of guidance documents to supplement the guide:
- Guidance paper 1: needs assessment (PDF, 14 pages, 232KB)
- Guidance paper 2: options appraisal, the business case and procurement (PDF, 17 pages, 315KB)
- Guidance paper 3: building capacity in the Third Sector (PDF, 16 pages, 297KB)
- Strategic commissioning case studies (PDF, 19 pages, 276KB)
In additional, we have provided a set of 11 core competencies developed by Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust to tackle strategic commissioning:
12 September 2013