Better Care Fund
The £5.3bn Better Care Fund was announced by the Government in the June 2013 spending round, to ensure a transformation in integrated health and social care.
The Better Care Fund (BCF) is one of the most ambitious programmes across the NHS and local government to date. It creates a local single pooled budget to incentivise the NHS and local government to work more closely together around people, placing their wellbeing as the focus of health and care services, and shifting resources into social care and community services for the benefit of the people, communities and health and care systems
For more detail about the background to the BCF, please visit About the BCF.
For the latest news and announcements about BCF, please sign up to BCF programme director Anthony Kealy's weekly note by contacting email@example.com. You should also sign up to the Better Care Exchange.
The Better Care Support Team has produced BCF Planning 2016-17: Approach to regional assurance of Better Care Fund plans which outlines the assurance process and suggests key lines of enquiry to support local government and NHS regional leads in the assurance of BCF plans. It is intended to be a helpful guide that sets out what a plan should include as a minimum.
The full Better Care Fund allocations for 2016-17, broken down by Health and Wellbeing Board area, have been published. Access the spreadsheet.
Technical Guidance Annex 4: Better Care Fund planning requirements for 2016-17 sets out the expectations for planning for the BCF in 2016/17.
There is £138m of Care Act money in BCF in 16/17 (up from £135m in 15/16). The money is within CCG allocations and is calculated on the relative needs formula (RNF) (not CCG formula). The specific uses of that money have changed from 15/16 to focus on support for carers and advocacy. The Department of Health are yet to confirm how the other components of the Care Act are being funded – a letter is expected on this soon. In the meantime, and as per last year, the LGA has produced a ready reckoner to support areas in their local budget setting. The ready reckoner provides an illustrative breakdown on Care Act funding through the BCF and general council funding in 2016/17 based on latest discussions with the Department of Health. The ready reckoner will be updated as DH confirms further funding decisions.
BCF data collection and performance reports.
|South Central||Hilary Turnerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North East||Bernard Groenemail@example.com|
|South (Wessex)||Judith Mayfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|South East||Mary Hillemail@example.com|
|North West: Cheshire and Merseyside, Lancs plus Greater Manchester||Justine Howefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Yorkshire & Humber, North East||Jenny Sleight||Jenny.email@example.com|
|West Midlands||Steve Cortonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|East Midlands||Wendy Houltemail@example.com|
|East of England||Jonathan Matthews||Jonathan.firstname.lastname@example.org|
BCF support and how to access it
The Better Care Support Team is providing a range of national and regional support throughout 2015/16. This responds to the survey of local systems about their support needs. It includes:
- a peer support programme across health and social care to build awareness and shared learning
- a programme of guidance, case studies and insight bulletins on workforce, information sharing and risk sharing
- a series of regional events to share learning and successes
- a pool of Better Care advisers to support resolution of intractable issues
- Better Care Exchange – an online platform to share learning across the system
- new regional Better Care managers to coordinate and commission support regionally.
Signposting tool to available support
The Better Care Support Team has produced a tool to signpost available support to address the biggest barriers to integrated care.
How to guides
A series of how to guides were produced to help areas with the implementation of their BCF plan. These documents are working drafts based on the best evidence available. If you have any feedback please email email@example.com.
- How to lead and manage Better Care implementation (PDF, 32 pages, 1,751KB)
- How to bring budgets together and use them to develop coordinated care provision (PDF, 30 pages,1,234KB)
- How to work together across health, care and beyond (PDF, 33 pages, 1,305KB)
- How to understand and measure impact (PDF, 43 pages, 1,894KB)
Other useful tools and documents
- Readiness for implementing the BCF: Aggregate national analysis of local self assessments March 2015
- Mapping of CCGs to HWBs, and HWBs to Area Team and Local Government Region contacts (Excel, 47KB)
- Care Act overview for BCF toolkit (PDF, 2 pages, 100KB)
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For local government specific queries, please email email@example.com.
9 August 2016
Better Care Exchange
The Better Care Exchange brings together all key documents related to integrated care and provides a platform for collaboration and shared learning. We would encourage you to register and get involved with others across the country to highlight best practices, share your successes and support one another's progress.