Better Care Fund
The £5.3bn Better Care Fund was announced by the Government in the June 2013 spending round, to ensure a transformation in integrated health and social care.
The Better Care Fund (BCF) is one of the most ambitious programmes across the NHS and local government to date. It creates a local single pooled budget to incentivise the NHS and local government to work more closely together around people, placing their wellbeing as the focus of health and care services, and shifting resources into social care and community services for the benefit of the people, communities and health and care systems
For more detail about the background to the BCF, please visit About the BCF.
For the latest news and announcements about BCF, please sign up to BCF programme director Anthony Kealy's weekly note by contacting email@example.com. You should also sign up to the Better Care Exchange.
BCF support and how to access it
The Better Care Support Team is providing a range of national and regional support throughout 2015/16. This responds to the survey of local systems about their support needs. It includes:
- a peer support programme across health and social care to build awareness and shared learning
- a programme of guidance, case studies and insight bulletins on workforce, information sharing and risk sharing
- a series of regional events to share learning and successes
- a pool of Better Care advisers to support resolution of intractable issues
- Better Care Exchange – an online platform to share learning across the system
- new regional Better Care managers to coordinate and commission support regionally.
Signposting tool to available support
The Better Care Support Team has produced a tool to signpost available support to address the biggest barriers to integrated care.
How to guides
A series of how to guides were produced to help areas with the implementation of their BCF plan. These documents are working drafts based on the best evidence available. If you have any feedback please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to lead and manage Better Care implementation (PDF, 32 pages, 1,751KB)
- How to bring budgets together and use them to develop coordinated care provision (PDF, 30 pages,1,234KB)
- How to work together across health, care and beyond (PDF, 33 pages, 1,305KB)
- How to understand and measure impact (PDF, 43 pages, 1,894KB)
Other useful tools and documents
- Readiness for implementing the BCF: Aggregate national analysis of local self assessments March 2015
- Mapping of CCGs to HWBs, and HWBs to Area Team and Local Government Region contacts (Excel, 47KB)
- Care Act overview for BCF toolkit (PDF, 2 pages, 100KB)
Reporting and guidance
The Better Care Support Team has published a revised quarterly reporting template that are distributed via local government and NHS regional networks and directly to local systems. The reporting template has been streamlined and minimises the reporting burden on local authorities and clinical commissioning groups by using existing data collections where possible. Further details can be found on Anthony Kealy's weekly notes and on the Better Care Exchange. If you have any queries regarding the template or guidance, email email@example.com.
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
21 August 2015
In this section
Better Care Exchange
The Better Care Support Team has launched the Better Care Exchange. Developed using the feedback of a wide tester group, it brings together all key documents related to integrated care and provides a platform for collaboration and shared learning. We would encourage you to register and get involved with others across the country to highlight best practices, share your successes and support one another's progress.