Better Care Fund
The £5.3bn Better Care Fund was announced by the Government in the June 2013 spending round, to ensure a transformation in integrated health and social care.
The Better Care Fund (BCF) is one of the most ambitious programmes across the NHS and local government to date. It creates a local single pooled budget to incentivise the NHS and local government to work more closely together around people, placing their wellbeing as the focus of health and care services, and shifting resources into social care and community services for the benefit of the people, communities and health and care systems
For more detail about the background to the BCF, please visit About the BCF.
For the latest news and announcements about BCF, please sign up to BCF programme director Anthony Kealy's weekly note by contacting email@example.com. You should also sign up to the Better Care Exchange.
Quarterly reporting (Quarter 3 2015-16)
The Better Care Support Team have issued the latest reporting template for Q3 2015-16. This should be used to report BCF performance for the period 1 October to 31 December 2015.
The completed return should be submitted to the national Better Care Support Team mailbox by midday on 26 February 2016. If you have any queries regarding the new template please contact the Better Care Support Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The full Better Care Fund allocations for 2016-17, broken down by Health and Wellbeing Board area, have been published on the NHS England website. Access the spreadsheet.
BCF support and how to access it
The Better Care Support Team is providing a range of national and regional support throughout 2015/16. This responds to the survey of local systems about their support needs. It includes:
- a peer support programme across health and social care to build awareness and shared learning
- a programme of guidance, case studies and insight bulletins on workforce, information sharing and risk sharing
- a series of regional events to share learning and successes
- a pool of Better Care advisers to support resolution of intractable issues
- Better Care Exchange – an online platform to share learning across the system
- new regional Better Care managers to coordinate and commission support regionally.
Signposting tool to available support
The Better Care Support Team has produced a tool to signpost available support to address the biggest barriers to integrated care.
How to guides
A series of how to guides were produced to help areas with the implementation of their BCF plan. These documents are working drafts based on the best evidence available. If you have any feedback please email email@example.com.
- How to lead and manage Better Care implementation (PDF, 32 pages, 1,751KB)
- How to bring budgets together and use them to develop coordinated care provision (PDF, 30 pages,1,234KB)
- How to work together across health, care and beyond (PDF, 33 pages, 1,305KB)
- How to understand and measure impact (PDF, 43 pages, 1,894KB)
Other useful tools and documents
- Readiness for implementing the BCF: Aggregate national analysis of local self assessments March 2015
- Mapping of CCGs to HWBs, and HWBs to Area Team and Local Government Region contacts (Excel, 47KB)
- Care Act overview for BCF toolkit (PDF, 2 pages, 100KB)
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
11 February 2016
In this section
Better Care Exchange
The Better Care Exchange brings together all key documents related to integrated care and provides a platform for collaboration and shared learning. We would encourage you to register and get involved with others across the country to highlight best practices, share your successes and support one another's progress.