Index of resources for subscribers
To help you familiarise yourself with the LGA Workforce online resources, we have gathered the pages that are most likely to be of use to you as a subscriber.
The information falls into four main categories:
However, the first thing you should do is register with the Workforce Library webpage and subscribe to the various bulletins that are available on employment matters:
The national agreements include the outcomes of pay negotiations and for terms and conditions of service for a number of discreet professional areas. It is likely that you will have staff on one or more of these sets of conditions – either because your organisation finds it convenient to use them or because you have staff that transferred to you via TUPE.
The most commonly used documents are:
- Green book – which provides the key terms and conditions but also has some joint guidance on issues such as job evaluation, equal pay audits
- Local government circulars
- Information about Local Government Services payLocal Government Services pay
- The NJC Job Evaluation Scheme
- Burgundy book – for school teachers
- School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document – LGA does not negotiate this but is a key stakeholder in its development.
Direct advice can be received on these issues by:
telephone 020 7664 3000
The less commonly-used terms and conditions documents are:
- Red book – for craft and associated employees
- Information about craft workers' pay
- Pink Book – for youth and community workers
- Blue Book (PDF file, 36 pages, 224KB) – for educational improvement professionals, educational psychologists and young people's / community service managers as determined by the Soulbury Committee
- Orange Book – for teachers in residential establishments
- Soulbury Circulars & Teachers in Residential Establishments
- Conditions of Service for chief executives
- Information about Chief Executive pay
- Conditions of Service for chief officers
- NJC for workshop for the blind.
The LGA produces a lot of information on employment and workforce issues that is useful for subscribers as benchmarking material or as examples of best practice. There are key documents that come free with your subscription and useful information on other parts of our website:
- Business-workforce planning (PDF)
- A Roadmap for Change (PDF)
- A resource on employment law and policy – e-guides, specific employment topics, employment FAQ's, a compensation, severance and redundancy payments guide and an employer response to industrial action
- National Employers Organisation for School Teachers
- Health and Safety
- Consultancy – for specific, bespoke solutions.
- Developing a strategic approach to reward
- Local Government Workforce Survey 2014/15
- Local Government Earnings Survey 2014/15
- Local Government Workforce Survey 2013/14
- Local Government Earnings Survey 2013/14
- LGA's role in the Local Government Pension Scheme policy
- LGA's role in Teachers Pension policy
- The Local Government Pension website – the members website
- Teachers' Pension Scheme – the administration site for this scheme.
The Knowledge Hub – join a network of contacts from all parts of the sector to "connect, collaborate, learn, innovate"
Telephone: 020 7664 3000
8 February 2017