Local government pensions
We represent employers' interests to central government and other bodies on local government pensions policy. We provide the secretariat service for the Local Government Pensions Committee (LGPC), a committee of councillors constituted by the:
- Local Government Association (LGA)
- Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA)
- Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA).
The LGPC provides technical advice and has a suite of technical guides on:
- the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- related compensation matters that it makes available to Pension Fund Administering Authorities and to employers.
- provide general communication information
- provide and maintain a central suite of guides and leaflets for employees and councillors on the LGPS that authorities administering the LGPS may download and personalise for their own use and the use of employers in their fund.
A full programme of pensions training is available for:
- pensions practitioners
- personnel officers
- other employing authority staff with an interest in the LGPS.
DCLG's consultations on Scheme Governance – August 2014
Call for evidence on future structure of the LGPS – September 2013
LGPS 2014 consultation
The LGA's response:
DCLG discussion paper, new governance arrangements LGPS 2014 – June 2013
A discussion paper exploring the five specific sections of the Public Service Pensions Act 2013 which impacts on the governance arrangements of the new LGPS was published 20 June 2013 by DCLG. It invited comments to a number of questions posed. The responses to these questions will allow DCLG to start work on the drafting of regulations on governance for consultation later this year. The closing date for responses to the paper was 30 August 2013.
Read the LGA's response.
LGA/LGPC responds to consultation on draft transitional regulations – 23 May 2013
Covering letter (PDF, 4 pages, 120KB)
Comments on the LGPS (Transitional Provisions and Savings) Regulations 2013 (PDF, 23 pages, 318KB)
Comments on the LGPS (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013 (PDF, 6 pages, 193KB)
LGA / LGPC response to consultation on technical changes to automatic enrolment – 7 May 2013
LGA / LGPC respond to the draft LGPS Regulations 2013 – 3 May 2013
The response is comprised of:
Redundancy and early retirement survey 2013
Read the summary reports of the: redundancy and early retirement survey 2012.
Head of Pensions
020 7187 7346
Senior Pensions Adviser
Pensions Training and Development Manager
020 7187 7374
LGPS Executive Officer
020 7187 7344
020 7664 3176
020 7664 3328