Local government pensions
We represent employers' interests to central government and other bodies on local government pensions policy. We provide the secretariat service for the Local Government Pensions Committee (LGPC), a committee of councillors constituted by the:
- Local Government Association (LGA)
- Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA)
- Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA).
The LGPC provides technical advice and has a suite of technical guides on:
- the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- related compensation matters that it makes available to Pension Fund Administering Authorities and to employers.
- provide general communication information
- provide and maintain a central suite of guides and leaflets for employees and councillors on the LGPS that authorities administering the LGPS may download and personalise for their own use and the use of employers in their fund.
A full programme of pensions training is available for:
- pensions practitioners
- personnel officers
- other employing authority staff with an interest in the LGPS.
Pensions for councillors – Responses from councillors required – December 2014
A number of member councils have enquired if the LGA would consider creating an alternative pension provision for those councillors who no longer have access to the LGPS from 2017. The options investigated are detailed below and the LGA would now wish to seek an indication of the demand should it progress with either option.
Please respond by email to Liam Robson, Pension Analyst on firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 January 2015, indicating your level of interest should the LGA proceed with options for alternative pension provision for councillors. In your response, please indicate your council and councillors you are responding on behalf of.
Head of Pensions
020 7187 7346
Senior Pensions Adviser
Pensions Training and Development Manager
020 7187 7374
LGPS Executive Officer
020 7187 7344
020 7664 3176
020 7664 3328