A support offer for councils looking to play an active role in the development of Local Industrial Strategies
The Government’s Industrial Strategy includes plans to work in partnership with places to develop Local Industrial Strategies (LIS) that will be developed locally and agreed with the Government.
Working closely with the Cities and Local Growth Unit, the LGA commissioned a support offer for councils looking to play an active role alongside Local Enterprise Partnerships and Combined Authorities in the development of a LIS.
The LGA has now published two reports capturing the learning from this support offer:
- Developing Successful Local Industrial Strategies outlines the key components of LIS development and includes case studies, key learning points and links to further resources.
- The role of councils in developing Local Industrial Strategies outlines why councils should engage with their LIS, the roles that councils can play in LIS development and the practical steps for effective engagement.
Further details on the support offer are available below.
Exploring the key components of LIS development
This strand of the LIS support offer drew on expert insights to share learning on the key elements of LIS development. This was structured around four masterclasses:
- Inclusive growth – Wednesday 13 March (Manchester) - view the event presentation
- Collaboration with business and stakeholders – Monday 25 March (London) – view the event presentation
- Developing a place narrative – Wednesday 3 April (Birmingham) – view the event presentation
- Developing a LIS evidence base – online resource to go live in July.
A report capturing key learning points from across the four masterclasses is available here.
Understanding the role of councils in LIS development
This strand of the LIS support offer sought to better understand the role of councils in LIS development and facilitate peer-to-peer learning within the sector.
A report capturing key learning points from this offer is available here. It outlines why councils should engage with their LIS, the roles that they can play in LIS development and the practical steps that councils can take to effectively engage.
LIS online hub
The LGA will shortly be launching a dedicated online hub for councils interested in finding out more about Local Industrial Strategies. This will be launched in July.
For further information on the LGA’s LIS support offer, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.