In order to attract top talent and ensure you get the best fit for your authority, we ask councils to:
- Promote the ngdp to raise the profile of the programme locally and attract a diverse and talented pool of candidates.
- Conduct a local interview at the end of the recruitment process. At this stage the candidates will have been through a rigorous series of assessments, but we want to give you the opportunity to ensure they are the best fit for your council.
- Employ national management trainees on a minimum two-year fixed term contract.
- Pay national management trainee salaries at national local government spinal column point (SCP) 20 (which was £25,295 excluding London Weighting at the time of publication).
- Nominate a member of staff to be the placement coordinator for the programme, once the council’s national management trainee(s) is in place.
- Organise a minimum of three placements for each national management trainee over the two years.
Here at the LGA we will:
- Annually subsidise the programme on behalf of councils in England
- Market the programme to high-calibre graduates across the UK
- Assess candidates’ suitability through a rigorous and established multi-stage recruitment process
- Support councils to access and market themselves to candidates
- Fund and organise a national programme of learning, development and networking.