The LGA has developed a training course to enhance council officers’ skills to undertake commercial activities.
In order to protect valuable frontline services and ensure positive outcomes for local communities councils are increasingly thinking through a more commercial approach to their activities. The LGA has developed a training course with the Institute of Directors, designed to enhance council officers’ ability to:
- ensure that local authority trading companies run effectively
- fulfil their roles as company directors capably and confidently
- apply their enhanced commercial skills and knowledge to improve business performance
- formulate commercial strategy
- assess the financial health of council commercial activities
- deal with commercial partners and improve negotiation skills
- gain a common set of business principles
- network with commercial officers from across local government.
The programme is aimed at officers, who are either involved with commercial decision-making or who may be considering working on commercialisation projects.
This is a six day programme, comprised of four modules:
- Dealing and negotiating with commercial partners
- Commercial strategy and risk
I would recommend it to all senior district staff. It provides insight into the governance and operating conditions many districts will need to bridge or adjust to be successful, while also highlighting the strengths authorities have in their armoury to move with flexibility
Allen Graham, Chief Executive, Rushcliffe Borough Council
Local authorities that have previously attended the training include: Aylesbury Vale District Council, Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils, Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council, Bexley, Havering and Newham councils, Bradford Council, Bromsgrove and Redditch, Chelmsford City Council, Chichester, Derby City Council, Derbyshire County Council, Derbyshire Dales DC, Doncaster Council, Dorset Councils Partnership, East Hertfordshire DC, East Hertfordshire District Council, Eastleigh Borough Council, Essex County Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Hertfordshire, Hounslow Council, Kirklees Council, Lewes, London Borough of Barnet, Middlesbrough Council, Norfolk Council, North Warwickshire, Plymouth City Council, Reigate and Banstead Borough Council, Ribble Valley Borough Council, Runnymede Borough Council, Rushcliffe Borough Council, South Norfolk Council, Staffordshire DC, Stevenage Borough Council, Swale Borough Council, Teignbridge Council, Transport for Greater Manchester, Warrington Borough Council, West Dorset District Council, West Suffolk, West Sussex County Council and Winchester City Council.