If you are setting up a webchat, online discussion forum, webinar or you know about a discussion thread where people can join in and share good practice, problem solve and learn, please let us know and we can add this to the event listing below.
e-learning and training materials
- LGA e-learning Module How to hold an online council meeting
LGA e-learning Module How to hold an online council meeting
Click on ‘this platform’ and scroll to the end of the modules for ‘Online Council Meeting.'
- Zoom training video created by Northants CALC
This video was created by Northants CALC to demonstrate what a virtual meeting of (the fictional) Great Pipping Parish Council would look like in Zoom. It is a training video designed to show how a chairman would deal with councillors joining by computer and phone, declarations of interest, public participation and confidential items where members of the public and press are excluded.
- Holding meetings: webinar by SLCC (Society of Local Council Clerks)
Discover how to use Go To Meeting, provided by the SLCC
Examples of virtual council meetings
- Rutland County Council Cabinet Meeting | 21 April 2020
Organiser: Rutland County Council
More information: Rutland County Council Cabinet Meeting
- Scrutiny Officers Good Practice Sharing | 21 April 2020
Organiser: Dave McKenna Solutions
More information: Scrutiny Offers Good Practice Sharing
- Harborough District Council Planning Meeting | 21 April 2020
Organiser: Harborough District Council
More information: Harborough District Council Planning Meeting
- Hambleton District Council Meeting | 17 April 2020
Organiser: Hambleton District Council
Platform: Conference call
More information: Hambleton District Council Meeting
- Ealing Council Licensing Sub Committee
Organiser: Ealing Council
Platform: Microsoft Teams Live
More information: Ealing Council Licensing Sub Committee
- Northamptonshire County Council Cabinet Meeting | 14 April 2020
Organiser: Northamptonshire County Council
More information: Northamptonshire County Council Cabinet Meeting
- Planning Applications Committee | Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, 9 April 2020
Organiser: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
More information: Planning Applications Committee
- Blaby District Council Meeting | 9 April 2020
Organiser: Blaby District Council
More information: Blaby District Full Council Meeting
- Devon County Council Cabinet Meeting | 8 April 2020
Organiser: Devon County Council
More information: Devon County Council Cabinet Meeting
- Surrey Heath Borough Council Meeting | 8 April 2020
Organiser: Surrey Heath Borough Council
Platform: Zoom and YouTube
More information: Surrey Heath Borough Full Council Meeting
- Scrutiny officers good practice sharing, Public.Gov | 7 April 2020
More information: Scrutiny officers good practice sharing
- Licensing Team Hold Mock Committee Hearing, Kings Chamber | 7 April 2020
Organiser: Kings Chamber
More information: Licensing Team Hold Mock Committee Hearing
- Southwark Council Cabinet Meeting | 7 April 2020
Organiser: Southwark Council
More information: Southwark Council Cabinet Meeting
- Exeter City Council Cabinet Meeting | 7 April 2020
Organiser: Exeter City Council
Platform: Skype and YouTube
More information: Exeter City Council Cabinet Meeting
- Kirklees Council Cabinet Meeting | 1 May 2020
Kirklees Council Cabinet Meeting
Organiser: Kirklees Council
Platform: You Tube
More information: Kirklees Council Cabinet Meeting
- Charnwood Borough Council Plans Committee | 6 May 2020
Organiser: Charnwood Borough Council
Platform: Zoom and You Tube
More information: Charnwood Borough Council
- Northumberland County Council Cabinet Meeting | 12 May 2020
Organiser: Northumberland County Council
Platform: You Tube
More information: Northumberland County Council Cabinet Meeting
- MHCLG digital webinar on continued functioning of local government
9 April 2020: Digital webinar on ‘continued functioning of local government’ meeting notes
Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG)
- Public decision-making processes and enabling technologies
- Understanding internal workforce availability and capacity
- Making democracy digital in response to COVID-19
This panel webinar will explore solutions from local authorities across the country to discuss how councils have embraced this new way of remote working and how they envisage local democracy working now it has been digitalised.
Watch the video 'Making democracy digital in response to COVID-19' on YouTube
- LGA & Zoom - Video Conferencing Workshop
On Friday 26 March 2021, the LGA and Zoom collaborated to deliver a workshop on the use and functionalities of Zoom for local government.
The session began with a brief presentation from Zoom’s UK Government Relations Director, Charlotte Holloway, in which she spoke about importance of technology in boosting public engagement and supporting the delivery of democracy in local government.
Phil Rumens, Digital Services Manager at West Berkshire Council, followed up with an overview of how the Council have been using Zoom to deliver remote council meetings throughout COVID-19. He specifically highlighted the Zoom and YouTube integrated live streaming feature; this was pivotal in ensuring that council meetings are easy to access for the wider public. Rumen’s also spoke about how the Council used their website as a central point of communication for providing updates on new features Zoom and remote council meeting guidance.
After, Zoom’s Customer Success Team Lead, Dana Vuursteen, gave an in-dept demonstration of Zoom’s key features and functionalities. Given the focus on remote council meetings, Vuursteen concentrated on security features, like the ability to lock a meeting during a session, enabling a waiting room, removing or suspending participant activity, so that hosts can control participant activity. She also demonstrated how hosts can create, launch polls and share results with all participants in real time.
Coronavirus: information for councils
Useful information for councils on novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
COVID-19 outbreak - councillor guidance
This guidance has been developed to assist elected councillors as councils grapple with the worst public health crisis we have experienced in a century.
COVID-19: councillor resources
Coronavirus information and guidance for councillors.