Your career to date may have given you transferable skills and experience that are just right for a new career in local government.
You can use those skills to benefit the local community where you live or enjoy a completely different way of working - part-time perhaps? Councils are proud of their reputation for providing flexible working opportunities for employees. They offer the chance to use your skills and experience in a rewarding, interesting environment and achieve a better work/life balance.
Local government may be able to offer you an exciting opportunity to change careers if you have the relevant experience and can demonstrate a range of the following skills:
- organisational ability
- customer service
- managing people
- decision-making ability
- team working skills
- project management
- creativity and flexible thinking
- valuing diversity.
Aside from the exciting range of opportunities to make a difference to your local community, councils are great places to work and for many people already provide an attractive employment package and working environment.
Local authorities have a key role to play in the health and wellbeing of their employees. Healthy, engaged and well-motivated employees have a positive impact on productivity and effectiveness and many councils have a range of programmes and initiatives to look after both their employees and the people they serve.
- flexibility – with full time, part-time, term-time work options
- fair pay and pensions – local authorities pay competitive rates of pay with a growing number committing to a minimum of a Living Wage rate
- the Local Government Pension Scheme is considered to be one of the best
- generous holiday allocation and public holidays
- career progression and relevant training
- job satisfaction
- maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- sickness scheme which is intended to supplement statutory entitlement and incapacity benefit.
Councils have led the way in creating workplaces that are respectful of people's differences, value and welcome diversity and deal quickly and efficiently with discrimination.
So what are you waiting for?
Come and join the 1.3 million other people who have chosen local government. Start your working life, or choose to start a new career today. Find out what opportunities are available to compliment your skills and experience:
- Local Government Jobs
- Jobs Go Public
- Target Jobs
- The Guardian Newspaper
- National Graduate Development Programme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Living Wage
Useful links to advertised job vacancies
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org