By taking part in NGDP, you will learn the key content and skills to fast-track your career in local government and the wider public sector. As part of the programme, you will complete a post graduate Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) certificate.
ILM Level 7 Qualification
As part of the NGDP, graduate trainees complete an ILM Level 7 Certificate in Leadership and Management, equivalent to 20 credits at postgraduate level. You will receive the certificate once you have attended the learning and development events, regional meetings, online tutorials and passed the course’s assignments.
Adopting a blended learning approach, the NGDP offers a range of activities for graduates which are designed around three key themes:
- Leadership and management of public service
- Managing change and delivering results
- Strategic commissioning and managing resources.
The training is delivered through a mixture of residential training modules, regional events and online learning, covering topics including:
- Local government finance
- Commissioning & commercialisation
- Working with, and understanding the role of, members
- Managing change and people.
- The aim
The aim of the qualification is to fast-track your career as a public sector leader. This is a postgraduate-level qualification usually offered to senior managers and greatly respected within the public sector. The objectives of the qualification are to:
- enable participants to critically evaluate the challenges facing local government
- provide participants with high level capabilities in management and leadership, grounded in a public sector context
- provide participants with a strong understanding of key local government areas of work and management
- enhance personal effectiveness as a leader and manager
- increase self-awareness and awareness of others.