7 March 2014
Landfill tax has achieved its purpose and should be frozen immediately as a planned increase is only going to punish hard-pressed families, town hall leaders say.
3 March 2014
This publication sets out the debates we really need to have about planning and housing supply if we are to achieve the levels of housing this country needs.
13 February 2014
The LGA responds to inaccurate reports that councils in flood-hit areas are charging for sandbags.
12 February 2014
Councils continue to work tirelessly to protect communities from the devastating impact of the severe weather and prolonged flooding.
20 February 2014
Cllr Mike Jones, Chairman of the LGA's Environment and Housing Board, has responded to the release of the latest house building statistics.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has updated its website. It's easier to sign up to the monthly newsletter and an update service will notifiy you when new documents in your area of interest are uploaded. PAS discussion forums have moved to Knowledge Hub. Please email your feedback to email@example.com