30 June 2015
Cllr Gary Porter will use his first keynote address as the Conservative Chairman of the Local Government Association to say councils hold the key to ending the nation's housing crisis and ensuring the Government's pledge to build 275,000 affordable homes by 2020 is met.
12 March 2015
The use of Local Development Orders (LDOs) is one of a number of planning tools that councils already use to incentivise development in a way that meets a whole range of locally specific policy objectives and to show developers that they are ‘open for business'.
29 January 2015
The removal of government funding for local welfare ‘safety net' schemes in April would be an expensive mistake which could put thousands at greater risk of losing their homes and cost the public purse hundreds of millions of pounds, councils are warning.
13 January 2015
Responding to an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill, Cllr Peter Box, LGA Environment Spokesman, said: "The LGA has long argued that communities should not be short-changed by fracking and any financial benefits schemes should mitigate adverse impacts and deliver significant benefits.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.