12 December 2013
Councillor Mike Jones, Chair of the LGA's Environment and Housing Board, comments on the release of surface water flood maps by the Environment Agency.
5 December 2013
Cllr Mike Jones, Chairman of the LGA's Environment and Housing Board, responds to the Chancellor's pledge in today's Autumn Statement to raise the limit councils can invest in new housing.
5 December 2013
Cllr Mike Jones, Chair of the LGA's Environment, Housing and Planning Board, has responded to changes to the Energy Company Obligation announced in the Autumn Statement.
4 December 2013
Parts of the country with tens of thousands of families languishing on social housing waiting lists are being prevented from building new council housing.
3 December 2013
Local taxpayers should not be punished with an increase in landfill tax and should instead see the money re-invested in boosting recycling, the Local Government Association (LGA) says.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has updated its website. It's easier to sign up to the monthly newsletter and an update service will notifiy you when new documents in your area of interest are uploaded. PAS discussion forums have moved to Knowledge Hub. Please email your feedback to email@example.com