12 November 2015
Cllr Peter Box, housing spokesman for the LGA, responds to figures released today showing that the number of Right to Buy sales are up by 5 per cent on last year.
5 October 2015
Extending the Right to Buy scheme to housing association tenants will cost £6 billion over the next four years as almost 100,000 households take up the offer, new analysis ahead of the Spending Review reveals today.
3 September 2015
The DCLG discussion paper "Tackling rogue landlords and improving the private rental sector" invited feedback on the levels of fines for serious housing offences and proposals including a "blacklist" of landlords and letting agents who persistently commit offences.
8 July 2015
Councils comment on the Budget announcement that higher income earners in social housing will have to pay market rents.
30 June 2015
Cllr Gary Porter will use his first keynote address as the Conservative Chairman of the Local Government Association to say councils hold the key to ending the nation's housing crisis and ensuring the Government's pledge to build 275,000 affordable homes by 2020 is met.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.