27 March 2014
Even in these times of austerity, households are binning far too many perfectly serviceable goods worth over £400 million every year, new research reveals.
19 March 2014
Councils are still pulling out all the stops to help tens of thousands of flood victims, even with the onset of milder weather.
19 March 2014
Councillor Mike Jones responds to the announcement of a freeze on landfill tax.
17 March 2014
LGA Chairman Sir Merrick Cockell said: "While we support the Government's aims to build more houses, democratically accountable councils have been at the forefront of delivering local growth and the creation of a separate, remote quango is unnecessary."
10 March 2014
Cllr Mike Jones, Chair of the LGA's Environment and Housing Board, responds to the announcement by Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin that an extra £140 million is being made available to help repair roads hit by weather damage.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has updated its website. It's easier to sign up to the monthly newsletter and an update service will notifiy you when new documents in your area of interest are uploaded. PAS discussion forums have moved to Knowledge Hub. Please email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org