30 October 2014
Read Cllr Peter Box, the LGA's Environment Spokesman, on Defra's latest report on fly-tipping in England.
24 October 2014
DCLG issued a consultation on proposals for a right to move for social tenants taking up work or training.
16 October 2014
Read the comments of Councillor Peter Box, Chair of the LGA's Environment, Economy, Housing and Transport Board, on the Lyons Review of housing.
8 October 2014
A government plan which was intended to bring empty offices back into use has led to some existing business being served with eviction notices, town hall leaders have warned.
5 September 2014
A major new survey reveals how almost three quarters of would-be home owners believe they are trapped in a rental "black hole".
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has its own website with toolkits, guidance, case studies, presentations and more. You can sign up to the monthly newsletter and view PAS discussion forums via the Knowledge Hub. Please email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.