7 July 2014
Innovative plans have been unveiled by councils which, if implemented, would provide about half a million desperately-needed new homes for hard-pressed families by the end of the decade.
14 June 2014
Tougher fines and a more streamlined prosecution system are needed to tackle rogue landlords who are putting tenants' lives at risk
4 June 2014
Cllr Sir Merrick Cockell, Chairman of the LGA, responds to announcements made on fracking in the Infrastructure Bill announced in the Queen's Speech.
23 May 2014
A major new inquiry has been launched into the economic and social future of the half of England that is not a major city.
1 May 2014
Tougher powers are needed by councils to tackle rogue landlords forcing tenants to live in ‘hell-hole homes'.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has its own website with toolkits, guidance, case studies, presentations and more. You can sign up to the monthly newsletter and view PAS discussion forums via the Knowledge Hub. Please email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.