18 May 2016
Responding to the Neighbourhood Planning and Infrastructure Bill, Cllr Peter Box, Planning spokesman at the LGA, said that we support the intention to improve the process for reviewing and updating neighbourhood plans but are clear that any additional requirements on councils should be fully funded.
2 May 2016
All food premises should be forced to display ‘Scores on the Doors' ratings to drive up standards and protect people from the risk of eating poorly prepared food cooked by rogue operators in unsafe and unhygienic kitchens, council leaders said today.
25 February 2016
Cllr Peter Box, Local Government Association spokesman for housing, responds to government figures which show the number of people sleeping rough in England has risen by nearly a third between 2014 and 2015.
2 March 2016
The LGA is warning that relaxing planning rules could open the door to mobile phone masts cropping up in beauty spots, historic locations and next to schools.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
Climate Local was an LGA initiative, supported by the Environment Agency Climate Ready service. It was created to drive, inspire and support council action on climate change. Running from June 2012 to March 2106, it supported councils both to reduce carbon emissions and to increase resilience to a changing climate.
You can view all of the materials and research from the initiative in the Climate Local project archive.