5 September 2014
A major new survey reveals how almost three quarters of would-be home owners believe they are trapped in a rental "black hole".
5 August 2014
An average of £232 has been saved from the household energy bills of people who took part in the most recent council-led collective switching auction for cheaper gas and electricity.
28 July 2014
Read the comments of Councillor Mike Jones, Chair of the LGA's Environment and Housing Board as he responds to the Government's recent announcement on fracking.
7 July 2014
Innovative plans have been unveiled by councils which, if implemented, would provide about half a million desperately-needed new homes for hard-pressed families by the end of the decade.
14 June 2014
Tougher fines and a more streamlined prosecution system are needed to tackle rogue landlords who are putting tenants' lives at risk
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has its own website with toolkits, guidance, case studies, presentations and more. You can sign up to the monthly newsletter and view PAS discussion forums via the Knowledge Hub. Please email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.