25 January 2016
Council staff will be working around-the-clock to protect communities as the nation braces itself for Storm Jonas, which is likely to bring further extreme weather and flooding.
22 January 2016
Lord Porter, Chairman of the Local Government Association, comments ahead of the Second Reading of the Housing and Planning Bill in the Lords next week.
15 January 2016
Households are being urged by councils to show extra vigilance and ensure vulnerable friends, neighbours and relatives are safe as the big freeze bites.
7 January 2016
New research published today reveals there are a record 475,647 homes in England which have been given planning permission but have yet to be built.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.