15 January 2015
Households are being urged by councils to show extra vigilance and ensure vulnerable friends, neighbours and relatives are safe as the big freeze bites.
13 January 2015
Responding to an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill, Cllr Peter Box, LGA Environment Spokesman, said: "The LGA has long argued that communities should not be short-changed by fracking and any financial benefits schemes set up for areas which accept plans should mitigate the adverse impacts of development and deliver significant benefits.
12 December 2014
Households are being urged to show extra vigilance and ensure vulnerable friends, neighbours and relatives are safe as the big freeze bites.
9 December 2014
Councils are ready for the 'Big Freeze' this week with gritters out in force and council depots filled with around 1.3 million tonnes of salt, and highway teams monitoring high-tech weather forecasts with highly-trained staff on standby around the clock.
2 December 2014
Read Cllr Peter Box giving the LGA's response to the government's flood defences announcement.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
The Planning Advisory Service has its own website with toolkits, guidance, case studies, presentations and more. You can sign up to the monthly newsletter and view PAS discussion forums via the Knowledge Hub. Please email any queries to email@example.com.