Councillors who attend LGA meetings and undertake various approved duties of the LGA are eligible to receive allowances and expenses. Councillors with particular leading roles also receive a Special Responsibility Allowance commensurate with the duties they undertake. The current LGA Members' Allowances Scheme can be viewed below, along with the published expenses from the 2015-16 meeting cycle:
- LGA Scheme of Councillors' Allowances
- LGA Councillors' Allowances from 1 September 2016
- LGA Councillors' Allowances from 1 September 2015 - 31 March 2016
- LGA Councillors' Allowances from 1 April 2016 - 31 July 2016
The Members' expenses scheme has been regularly reviewed by an Independent Remuneration Panel since it was established, most recently in 2009 following a major restructure.
Claiming Members' expenses
Travel, subsistence and a carers' allowance are paid for carrying out approved duties specified in the scheme, and the claim form for these expenses is available below. However, please note that with the exception of the Office Holders of the Association, Chairs of the boards, and the regional representatives of the LGA Executive, the LGA does not pay travel and subsistence for attendance at its own meetings.
Members in receipt of an LGA allowance can claim expenses using this form.
Member Peers who are in receipt of an LGA allowance and are claiming fees should use this form.
A full breakdown of expenses incurred by our members starting from the 2011/12 financial year to the present, can be found below:
- LGA Councillors' expenses April to September 2016
- LGA Councillors' expenses 2015/16
- LGA Councillors' expenses 2014/15
- LGA Councillors' expenses 2013/14
- LGA Councillors' expenses 2011/12
- LGA Councillors' expenses 2012/13
For more information on Members' allowances and expenses please email the LGA Member Services Team: email@example.com