14 April 2015
The Local Government Association has signed up to Plotr, a Government-supported, employer-led careers website that builds bridges between the world of education and the world of work, in order to help councils recruit the best young people.
3 June 2014
A framework for designing management roles and organisational structures to ensures the right people are in the right role at the right time.
14 April 2015
Councils are exciting and rewarding places for young people to work. Find out more about the LGA's sponsored world on Plotr.
27 October 2014
EVP is an innovative approach to assessing and managing employee engagement to significantly improve productivity and efficiency within organisations.
14 November 2014
An agreement has been reached between local government employers and trade unions on a pay increase for council workers.
We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
Our support is designed to:
- help councils develop a flexible and productive workforce
- ensure an affordable and flexible pay, reward and conditions system for local government
- work with different public sector employers to address the challenges and opportunities in the local workforce.
We have a key role in providing the main interface between employers and trade unions for consultation and negotiations on:
- workforce issues and advice; and
- social partnership.
The employment groups within our remit include:
- local government staff
- police and police support staff.
LGA working for local government
Working in consultation with, and on behalf of local authorities, regional employers and other stakeholders, we:
- represent local government employer interests on pay, pensions and employment issues to central government, government agencies, trades unions, and European institutions
- support the employers' sides of the national negotiating bodies
- provide advice and support for councils implementing national pay and conditions agreements
- offer technical advice, information and training on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and related matters
- deliver guidance and advice on employment issues including: employment law, sickness absence management, reward systems and structures, health and safety, age discrimination and the workforce implications of procurement.