26 November 2015
The LGA has launched the 2014/15 Local Government Workforce Survey of councils in England. A member of your HR team will have received an email inviting you to take part.
12 October 2015
The LGA, SOLACE and PPMA are working together with our academic partner, the University of Birmingham, to jointly look at how we can provide a practical focus to the University's excellent research into the 21st Century Public Servant.
5 October 2015
A framework for designing management roles and organisational structures to ensures the right people are in the right role at the right time.
2 October 2015
In a time of unprecedented pressure on budgets and services, local authorities are keen to find ways of increasing the efficiency of their workforce. Find out more - and read case studies of councils that are already changing culture and behaviour to get best value from flexible working.
14 April 2015
Councils are exciting and rewarding places for young people to work. Find out more about the LGA's sponsored world on Plotr.
We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
Our support is designed to:
- help councils develop a flexible and productive workforce
- ensure an affordable and flexible pay, reward and conditions system for local government
- work with different public sector employers to address the challenges and opportunities in the local workforce.
We have a key role in providing the main interface between employers and trade unions for consultation and negotiations on:
- workforce issues and advice; and
- social partnership.
The employment groups within our remit include:
- local government staff
- police and police support staff.
LGA working for local government
Working in consultation with, and on behalf of local authorities, regional employers and other stakeholders, we:
- represent local government employer interests on pay, pensions and employment issues to central government, government agencies, trades unions, and European institutions
- support the employers' sides of the national negotiating bodies
- provide advice and support for councils implementing national pay and conditions agreements
- offer technical advice, information and training on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and related matters
- deliver guidance and advice on employment issues including: employment law, sickness absence management, reward systems and structures, health and safety, age discrimination and the workforce implications of procurement.