20 March 2014
In a time of unprecedented pressure on budgets and services, local authorities are keen to find ways of increasing the efficiency of their workforce.
18 March 2014
The DWP wrote to local authority chief executives to provide an update on the implementation of the Single Fraud Investigation Service (SFIS). The letter gave details of some important decisions and timelines for the transfer of Housing Benefit fraud functions and the associated transfer of staff from local authorities to the DWP.
27 January 2014
The LGA in partnership with Total Conflict Management (TCM) has undertaken a survey on the use of mediation on the workplace. The findings show a continued trend by local authorities to use this process for resolving conflict in the workplace. This avoids more formal grievance and disciplinary procedures that can often prove time consuming, disruptive and costly.
28 August 2012
Comprehensive information and advice for HR teams about the transfer of public health staff in to local government. Latest update includes the Training of Public Health Speciality Registrars published November 2013.
22 June 2012
A framework for designing management roles and organisational structures to ensures the right people are in the right role at the right time.
We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
Our support is designed to:
- help councils develop a flexible and productive workforce
- ensure an affordable and flexible pay, reward and conditions system for local government
- work with different public sector employers to address the challenges and opportunities in the local workforce.
We have a key role in providing the main interface between employers and trade unions for consultation and negotiations on:
- workforce issues and advice; and
- social partnership.
The employment groups within our remit include:
- local government staff
- police and police support staff.
LGA working for local government
Working in consultation with, and on behalf of local authorities, regional employers and other stakeholders, we:
- represent local government employer interests on pay, pensions and employment issues to central government, government agencies, trades unions, and European institutions
- support the employers' sides of the national negotiating bodies
- provide advice and support for councils implementing national pay and conditions agreements
- offer technical advice, information and training on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and related matters
- deliver guidance and advice on employment issues including: employment law, sickness absence management, reward systems and structures, health and safety, age discrimination and the workforce implications of procurement.
Latest and previous editions of LGA workforce publications are available in the Workforce library.
In the library you'll find:
For workforce subscribers:
- Advisory bulletins
- Local government services information
- Education bulletins
- Fire and rescue bulletins
- Coroners' bulletins
- Forensic medical examiners.
Also available, to all visitors:
- Police circulars
- Local Government Pension Scheme information.