3 June 2014
A framework for designing management roles and organisational structures to ensures the right people are in the right role at the right time.
19 May 2014
These standards and framework set out the shared core expectations of employers which will enable social workers in all employment settings to work effectively.
11 July 2014
A recent workshop at the LGA conference heard how workforce integration as part of wider public service integration is a complex multi-layered issue.
18 March 2014
The LGA has responded to the consultation on behalf of our sector to say that the transfer arrangements for SFIS should mirror those used for the successful transfer of Public Health staff into local government last year, which were agreed with the relevant trade unions.
20 March 2014
In a time of unprecedented pressure on budgets and services, local authorities are keen to find ways of increasing the efficiency of their workforce.
Comprehensive information for councils about the transfer of public health to local authorities. Includes A 'one year on' review of achievements under the public health workforce strategy.
We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
Our support is designed to:
- help councils develop a flexible and productive workforce
- ensure an affordable and flexible pay, reward and conditions system for local government
- work with different public sector employers to address the challenges and opportunities in the local workforce.
We have a key role in providing the main interface between employers and trade unions for consultation and negotiations on:
- workforce issues and advice; and
- social partnership.
The employment groups within our remit include:
- local government staff
- police and police support staff.
LGA working for local government
Working in consultation with, and on behalf of local authorities, regional employers and other stakeholders, we:
- represent local government employer interests on pay, pensions and employment issues to central government, government agencies, trades unions, and European institutions
- support the employers' sides of the national negotiating bodies
- provide advice and support for councils implementing national pay and conditions agreements
- offer technical advice, information and training on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and related matters
- deliver guidance and advice on employment issues including: employment law, sickness absence management, reward systems and structures, health and safety, age discrimination and the workforce implications of procurement.