PAS ran events on Defra's biodiversity net gain consultation for planners and councillors in February and March 2022. You can access recordings and slides from the events and a summary of what we heard here.
In February and March 2022, PAS ran events for local authorities on Defra’s January 2022 consultation on Biodiversity Net Gain regulations and implementation. We ran two sets of events: overview and deep-dive sessions. A summary of what we heard at the events is at the bottom of this page.
The events were intended to help LPAs understand what the consultation covers and how best to respond. Defra provided an overview of the consultation, which was followed by a panel discussion also involving Natural England and DLUHC.
The slides and recording of our officer event on 10 February and councillor event on 15 February are available below.
Biodiversity Net Gain consultation overview event agenda:
- Overview of BNG and consultation document
- Poll around readiness
- Consultation document Part 1 presentation and panel discussion
- Consultation document Part 2 presentation and panel discussion
- Consultation document Part 3 presentation and panel discussion
- Final panel discussion
- Summing up and next steps
Slides from Biodiversity net gain consultation overview for officers event, 10/2/22
Slides from Biodiversity net gain consultation overview for councillors event, 15/2/22
Recording of Biodiversity net gain consultation overview for councillors event, 15/2/22
In March 2022, we ran sessions on five key topics from the BNG consultation:
- Off-site delivery, including habitat banking, BNG market, net gain register, statutory biodiversity credits and opportunities for local authorities
- Monitoring, evaluation and enforcement of BNG delivery
- The BNG process for TCPA development, including phased and minerals development
- The biodiversity gain plan
The slides and recordings from these events are available below. Please note that recordings only cover the initial presentations on the topic for the workshop and not discussions.
Unfortunately, we do not have a recording available for this session.
Summary of what we heard
These slides provide a summary of what we heard at the events on the BNG consultation. We have provided a full report on the events to Defra, Natural England and DLUHC.