The Plan, developed by scientists and public health experts, brings together and improves existing guidance on weather and health.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has launched a new combined Adverse Weather and Health Plan (AWHP) as part of a commitment under the climate change National Adaption Programme (NAP) to bring together and improve existing guidance on weather and health.
The AWHP will build on existing measures taken by UKHSA, the wider government, its agencies, NHS England and local authorities to protect people from the health effects of adverse weather and build community resilience.
Bringing together the previous Heatwave Plan for England, and the Cold Weather Plan for England, this new annual document will be underpinned by:
- a collection of supporting scientific evidence, published in parallel
- updated Weather-Health alerts developed in partnership with the Met Office new and
- updated guidance and supporting materials, providing advice on how to stay safe during severe weather events, such as periods of extreme heat and cold.
The AWHP was developed by scientists and public health experts in the UKHSA’s new Centre for Climate and Health Security, established to provide leadership to protect health in the context of a changing climate and provide a focus for partnerships and collaborations with academia, local authorities and other public sector organisations.
Emergency planning is a key issue for local people and the reputation of councils and fire and rescue authorities can depend on the effectiveness of planning and response.
- Weather-Health Alerting System
- Weather-Health Alerting system registration form
- The AWHP is underpinned by the Weather-Health Alerting System developed by UKHSA in partnership with the Met Office.The content of these alerts is aimed at health and social care organisations and other professionals that work with individuals or communities who may be affected by hot or cold weather.
- Adult social care resources
- Adverse Weather and Health Plan: heat advice - GOV.UK
- Supporting vulnerable people before and during a heatwave: for care home managers and staff - GOV.UK
- Supporting vulnerable people before and during a heatwave: for health and social care professionals
- Helping to prevent winter deaths and illnesses associated with cold homes - NICE
- Looking after children and those in early years settings during heatwaves: for teachers and professionals - GOV.UK
- Beat the heat: staying safe in hot weather - GOV.UK
- Beat the heat: keep cool at home checklist - GOV.UK
- Flooding: health guidance and advice - GOV.UK
- Public health impact of drought: advice for the public - GOV.UK