We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
School teachers' pay and conditions Q&As
New Government December 2019
The general election has returned a majority conservative government. Read their manifesto.
Key areas for the local government workforce community include:
- Help employers invest in skills and look at how we can improve the working of the Apprenticeship Levy. (p.33)
- Invest far more in helping workers train and retrain for the jobs and industries of the future. (p.25)
- Ensure redundancy payments can be clawed back when high-paid public servants move between jobs (p.48). Previous LGA response on this proposal.
Employment Law - more information can be found in the LGA Advisory bulletins
- Create a single enforcement body and crack down on any employer abusing employment law. (p.39)
- Ensure that workers have the right to request a more predictable contract and other reasonable protections. (p.39)
- Encourage flexible working and consult on making it the default unless employers have good reasons not to. (p.39)
- Offer a guaranteed job interview for veterans for any public sector role they apply for. (p.52)
Non UK Nationals
- We will create bespoke visa schemes for new migrants who will fill shortages in our public services. (p.20)
- Guaranteeing the existing rights of current EU citizens in the UK to stay (p.21)
Want to know more about the fantastic pension scheme for local government employees? Watch the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) 'Pensions Made Simple' videos.
Solace, in partnership with the LGA, has launched a practical guide to the senior recruitment process aimed at both candidates and the elected members and officers involved in the hiring process.
The LGA menopause guide discusses what councils can do to be ‘menopause friendly’ employers. Our female dominated workforce has an average age of 40 and so a significant portion of our workers will be affected by the menopause while working.
On 10 April 2019, HM Treasury opened a consultation on draft regulations, Directions and guidance to implement the exit cap. The consultation will run for 12 weeks and closes on 3 July 2019. The LGA has responded ahead of the 3 July deadline:
LGA response to the exit payments cap
Executive summary of LGA response to the exit payments cap
The primary aim of this document is to help senior HR professionals and their teams to develop local action plans for workforce improvement by providing facts and ideas.
The Modification order
The primary significance of the Order is in relation to redundancy.
21st Century Public Servant
Theory and practice around how our best 21st Century Public Servants operate alongside help for organisations to review job design, workforce planning, organisational culture to support excellent service delivery.
Timewise Councils Initiative
This programme supports organisations to drive cultural change and best practice on flexible working, as a way to retain and attract the best talent, and maximise their performance.