This site brings together guidance documents, case study examples of good practice and a host of other resources to enable local government to share with and learn from each other, as well as check their progress against the National Procurement Strategy.
- National Procurement Strategy for Local Government in England 2018
- National Procurement Strategy 2018 - toolkit
The LGA has launched its 2018 strategy. It’s not about compliance or tactical issues, its streamlined structure reflects learning from the 2014 strategy and the diagnostic exercise, focusing on three key themes which, consultation has shown, reflects local government’s priorities for the next four years:
- showing leadership
- behaving commercially
- achieving community benefits
In addition to the themes, the strategy identifies four ‘enablers’:
- developing talent
- exploiting digital technology
- enabling innovation
- embedding change.
These cross-cutting actions have been identified by councils as being necessary for successful delivery in the key areas. The idea is that each council chooses the level of maturity it aims for in each of the key areas. The choices will naturally reflect local priorities and the resources available to the council. It is recognised, of course, that district councils may have different objectives to larger councils.
It is envisaged that groups of councils may want to develop their own regional procurement strategies based on this model which reflect their own local and regional priorities.
- National Procurement strategy for Local Government 2014
- National Procurement Strategy Impact Report 2014
Local Government Procurement Showcase presentations
We held an event on 25 September 2017 in which we showcased the LGA’s work on procurement and discussed what might be included in a new national procurement strategy for 2018.
The slides and resources are available here:
- NPS Diagnostic, Keynote slides, Ken Cole
- Encouraging innovation in local government procurement
- National Energy Category Strategy
- National ICT Category Strategy
- Workshop A1 – Supplier Management project
- Workshop A2 – Social Value
- Workshop B1 – Energy category strategy
- Workshop B1 – Re:Fit slides
- Workshop B2 – Commercial Skills slides
- Workshop B3 – Innovation slides
- Workshop C1 – Collaboration slides
- Workshop C2 – Dynamic Purchasing Systems slides
- Tier 1 Final Diagnostic report
- Tier 2 Final Diagnostic report
- Summary version of the diagnostic key messages