We can visit your council to help improve your communications function.
Communications healthcheck (free)
Each council is entitled to up to one free day of communications support during 2019/20, which can be tailored to your individual needs. This includes:
- Overall review of your current communications function
- Review of your communications strategy
- Assessment of current communications activity, capability and capacity
- Quick wins to help you tackle key issues and a summary report.
Communications review (costed)
For councils looking for a more in-depth and strategic view of their wider communications activity, we offer a three-day communications review. This includes:
- in-depth review of your current communications function
- in-depth review of your strategy and advice on developing an authentic corporate narrative and place brand
- detailed assessment of current communications activity
- feedback session - a set of quick wins to help you tackle key issues and a detailed report with longer term recommendations.
Led by an experienced senior communications manager, the review team will be assembled depending on the areas of specialism you would like reviewed.
Both our one-day health checks and three-day reviews can be tailored to cover your communications around specific issues or service areas.
Contact us to book your communications review.
Communications without strategy does not work. A communications strategy, an authentic corporate narrative, clear priorities and a compelling place brand are core components of effective, strategic communications. We offer two services to help councils, both of which can be tailored to your needs.
Led by an experienced communications professional, we offer a roundtable session with senior management teams to help develop your corporate narrative and organisational priorities/campaigns.
We also offer a workshop with cabinets and executives, led by a member peer and a communications professional. These sessions cover the importance of good communications, the role of members in engaging with their communities and developing the administration’s priorities into a compelling narrative.
Strategy development (costed)
We offer support with the development and writing of a communications strategy and/or corporate plan. Working with your communications team, we will spend time onsite helping to shape the core elements of your strategy and advice on what good looks like.
Contact us to book your strategic support
#FutureComms skills audit (costed)
Using the themes of our #FutureComms resource, we offer an audit of your authority’s capacity and capability to deliver the core components. A written report will provide recommendations, including advice around training and development and recruitment.
Contact us to book your skills audit
Social media support
We offer a free social media audit. The purpose of the audit is to provide local authority communications teams with:
- An overall review of their current social media presence and strategy
- Quick wins to help them tackle key issues identified in the review
- Long-term recommendations for moving forward
We offer social media training (basic/intermediate for up to five people). The bespoke half-day sessions are aimed at local authority officers in charge of managing corporate social media channels, to make sure you get the best out of the key platforms.
The training would be based on the recommendations set out in a prior audit (see above), in conjunction with your authority’s objectives, and delivered by a Digital Campaigns Adviser from the LGA.
Depending on your needs, we can cover topics such as:
- Understanding social media best practice (what, when and where)
- Engaging with your audience
- Content planning and examples of planning software
- Content creation tools
Contact us to book your social media support
Media training (costed)
We can help commission media training for individuals (e.g. Leaders and chief executives) as well as for small groups, such as cabinets.
Contact us to discuss media training