The Next Generation Programme offers ambitious and talented councillors an unparalleled political development opportunity – uniquely developed within party political traditions and with party political experts. The Programme equips emerging political leaders with the skills and confidence to be bold champions of local government and progress in their political careers.
Each year we support a select group of talented and ambitious councillors from across the political spectrum through the LGA’s Next Generation programme. There is also a programme for councillors represented by the LGA's Independent Group.
Next Generation delegates will:
- attend residential modules throughout the year with a competitively selected cohort of peers
- meet councillors from across the country (from their own political persuasion or as a cohort of the LGA Independent Group)
- learn from each other and develop as a cohort of critical friends
- be introduced to exemplar approaches to local government leadership
- have the opportunity to raise their profile at a local and national level
- become part of the alumni network
Each LGA political group has developed their own distinctive programme within their own political setting, but all participants will have the opportunity to:
- explore different political and community leadership styles
- develop communication and media skills
- learn more about their own personal strengths and weaknesses as a community and political leader
- increase confidence in their leadership style
- work within party political settings to better understand policy-making strategies
- explore the distinctive approach to policy and governance of their party/group or as an independent councillor.
Who is it for?
The Next Generation programme is for ambitious and talented councillors who are interested in a party political development opportunity. There is also a tailored programme for councillors represented by the LGA's Independent Group office.
There is a competitive application process and, to apply for any of the programmes, your council must be an LGA member.
Module 1: Saturday 28 & Sunday 29 October 2017 - London
Module 2: Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 December 2017 - Warwick University Conference Centre, Coventry
Module 3: Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 January 2018 - Manchester
The deadline for applications is Monday 24 July 2017.
Module 1: Friday 10 & Saturday 11 November 2017 - Warwick University Conference Centre, Coventry
Module 2: Friday 19 & Saturday 20 January 2018 - Elstree Studios, Hertfordshire
Module 3: Friday 23 & Saturday 24 March 2018 - Dunford House, Midhurst, West Sussex
The deadline for applications is Friday 4 August 2017.
Module 1: Sunday 22 – Tuesday 24 October 2017 – Location TBC
Module 2: Tuesday 28 November 2017 – London
Module 3: Friday 12 – Sunday 14 January 2018 – Warwick University Conference Centre, Coventry
Event: Liberal Democrat Conference – Date TBC
Apply for the Liberal Democrat Group Next Generation. The deadline for applications is Friday 11 August 2017.
Module 1: 6-7 October 2017
Module 2: 1-2 December 2017
Module 3: 2-3 February 2018
All modules will be taking place at Warwick Conference Centre, University of Warwick, Coventry.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 6 August 2017.
There is no cost to attend the programme, however participants' local authorities must cover travel costs.