The Next Generation Programme offers ambitious and talented councillors an unparalleled political development opportunity – uniquely developed within party political traditions and with party political experts. The Programme equips emerging political leaders with the skills and confidence to be bold champions of local government and progress in their political careers.
The Next Generation Programme offers ambitious and talented councillors an unparalleled political development opportunity. Next Generation is uniquely developed within party political traditions and with party political experts and there is also a programme for councillors represented by the LGA’s Independent Group.
Next Generation aims to support and encourage councillors to be bold and confident political leaders, progress in your political career and be champions of local government. Representing, understanding and working with your communities and constituents and upholding your own values and morals, those of your Party, or those of an independent political spirit for members of the LGA’s Independent Group.
Each year we support a select group of talented and ambitious councillors from across the political spectrum through the LGA’s Next Generation programme.
Modules focus on three key areas:
- Personal Leadership
- Political Leadership
- Communication and media skills
The programme will support members to:
- Increase in confidence and effectiveness as a community and political leader.
- Increase awareness and understanding of different styles and approaches to political leadership.
- Better understand the distinctive approach to policy and governance of the Party, or those of an independent political spirit for members of the LGA’s Independent Group.
- Define their ‘vision' for their council / ward / group.
- Increase confidence, awareness and understanding of the importance of communication and media skills
- Learn more about their own personal strengths and weaknesses as a community and political leader.
- Increase understanding of the practical strategies to policy making and best practice.
Next Generation delegates will:
- attend residential modules throughout the year with a competitively selected cohort of peers.
- meet councillors from across the country (from their own political persuasion or as a cohort of the LGA Independent Group).
- learn from each other and develop as a cohort of peers and critical friends.
- be introduced to exemplar approaches to local government leadership.
- have the opportunity to raise their profile at a local and national level.
- draw on and become part of the flourishing network of peers and critical friends from 12 cohorts of the Next Generation programme.
Who is it for?
The Next Generation programme is for ambitious and talented councillors who are interested in a party political development opportunity. There is also a tailored programme for councillors represented by the LGA's Independent Group office.
There is a competitive application process and, to apply for any of the programmes, your council must be an LGA member.
Module dates will be confirmed shortly.
There is no cost to attend the programme, however participants' local authorities must cover travel costs.