Local Government Association,
18 Smith Square, Westminster,
London, SW1P 3HZ
Telephone 020 7187 7335
Employers’ Secretary, Naomi Cooke
Direct Dial: 020 7187 7335
FIRE & RESCUE SERVICES
To: Chief Fire Officers
Chief Executives/Clerks to Fire Authorities
Chairs of Fire Authorities
Directors of Human Resources
CC: Members of the Employers’ Side of the NJC
9 February 2023
1. Members of the employers‘ side met yesterday to consider its position in relation to the current pay negotiation as part of a commitment on behalf of the National Joint Council to meet within 10 days of the FBU announcing the result of its strike ballot.
2. Members were mindful of a number of factors including the serious concerns raised within the consultation meeting of the damaging effects of strike action both for the public and fire and rescue service culture and relationships.
3. The attached offer was made following intensive discussions on the employers’ side, and jointly.
4. The employees’ side indicated that following such an offer:
• the FBU will consult its members;
• notification of strike action will not take place during the consultation period;
• the consultation will not be accompanied by a recommendation to reject.
Acting Employers Secretary