Local Government Association
18 Smith Square
e-mail: [email protected]
Police Staff Council (PSC)
To: Force Personnel/HR Manager/Payroll Manager
Cc: Police and Crime Commissioners/PSC Employers Side
9 August 2023
EMP-2-2023 POLICE STAFF PAY 2023
I am writing to update you on the Police Staff Council’s pay negotiations on the Trade Union Side’s pay and conditions claim for 2023. In April, the Trade Union Side submitted their pay and conditions claim as follows:
- one-year claim
- an increase of the Retail Prices Index (RPI) of inflation plus 4 per cent on all pay points
- an increase of RPI plus four per cent on standby allowance and overnight away from home allowance
- a guarantee that no pay points will fall below the Joseph Rowntree real living wage during the 2023/24 pay year
- a variable increase in the value of pay points 8 – 19 to make each incremental step worth £500 creating more equal steps up the lower pay points of the PSC pay spine; this adjustment to precede and be in addition to the award of the RPI + 4 per cent salary increase
- an increase in the minimum annual leave entitlement in the PSC Handbook from 24 days on appointment and 29 days after five years’ service to 25 days on appointment and 30 days after five years’ service.
The Employers’ Side has agreed to make the following one year (1 September 2023 to 31 August 2024) full and final offer to the Trade Union Side as follows:
- a 7 per cent pay increase on all pay points on the PSC pay spine as of 1 September 2023
- a 7 per cent increase on Standby Allowance from £32.23 to £34.49 as of 1 September 2023
- a review of the lower quartile of the PSC pay spine during the 2023-24 pay year. This review would take place on a without prejudice basis in the PSC Pay and Reward Working Party.
The Trade Union Side (UNISON, UNITE and GMB) will undertake a consultation of their members on the offer this month. We will inform you of the outcome of this process and any further developments. We hope that this will result in a pay settlement for 2023.
Employers Side Secretariat