The Government’s industrial strategy provides a critical opportunity to drive the creation of a successful, world-leading economy and the LGA welcomes the Government’s ambition to drive growth and tackle the economic imbalances in different parts of the country.
1. The Government’s industrial strategy provides a critical opportunity to drive the creation of a successful, world-leading economy and the LGA welcomes the Government’s ambition to drive growth and tackle the economic imbalances in different parts of the country.
2. The visitor economy is one of this country’s fastest growing sectors and councils are keen to support it. We believe that a sector deal for the tourist industry would enable collective action to drive further growth and help address some of the issues that have inhibited the growth of tourism in some areas of the country.
3. It is vital that any sector deals that the Government makes recognise the importance of the places they operate in and depend on and have the support of local leaders.
4. Councils invest £70 million per year on business support, visitor information and destination marketing. They spend £2.6 billion every year on culture and heritage and support major cultural, business and supporting events. They also lead on planning and infrastructure development that is critical to the visitor economy.
5. For councils to support their local businesses and play their part in increasing the visitor economy, they need access to the levers that will create the conditions for growth. The Government can further enable councils to support and grow this sector by:
- Devolving the £10.5 billion national employment and skills funding to groups of councils, and combined authorities where they exist.
- Allowing the pooling of all local infrastructure funding to enable councils and groups of councils to deliver infrastructure needs according to local priorities.
- Ensuring access to fast and reliable digital and mobile connectivity, which is a necessity for households and businesses across the UK.
- Building on existing locally led economic strategies and partnerships.
6. The LGA and our member councils are ready to work with VisitBritain, the Tourism Industry Council and government departments at a national level to create the right environment for the tourism sector to thrive; and locally with the businesses and communities in our areas.
Read the full briefing