Resetting the relationship between local and national government. Read our Local Government White Paper

Must know: special educational needs and disability

Councils, schools, colleges and health services must work together to support children and young people with special needs and disabilities.

View allEducation and schools articles

Special educational needs (SEN) support is an approach that all schools and colleges must adopt when it is clear that a child or young person needs additional support to learn and achieve. This should be part of a graduated response and for most children and young people this additional support will be enough to help them make progress. For a minority, an EHC plan will be necessary. Councils must make clear their expectations of schools and what should be offered as part of ‘normally available’ provision before a request for additional funding is made by a setting.

Schools have a duty to make arrangements for supporting pupils with medical conditions (some of whom may also have SEN).