The Government has announced a package of measures to tackle child sexual exploitation, as part of the national response to the Jay Report.
Although the detail behind many of the measures is currently unclear, headlines include:
- A new national whistleblowing portal for reports related to child abuse
- A new national taskforce and centre of expertise to support areas with their local response to CSE
- Consultation on introducing an offence of "wilful neglect" to children's social care, education and elected members
- Granting child sexual abuse the status of a national threat in the Strategic Policing Requirement
- Providing £7 million this year and in 2015/16 to organisations which support survivors of sexual abuse.
The full report is available at www.gov.uk/government/publications/tackling-child-sexual-exploitation--2
A number of additional reports into child sexual exploitation have also been published over the past month, including:
- Louise Casey's inspection of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council – www.gov.uk/government/publications/report-of-inspection-of-rotherham-metropolitan-borough-council
- The Office of the Children's Commissioner's 'One Year On' report – www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/content/publications/content_920
- Serious case review into historic child sexual exploitation in Oxfordshire – www.oscb.org.uk/case-reviews/