This output is a reflective piece from the five technical briefings on the Local Retrofit Action Planning Course from a representative from High Peak and Staffordshire Moorlands. This is a checklist that provides context and critical aspects to consider when delivering an action plan.
This case study is a part of the LGA's Regional Retrofit Action Planning programme
Context and Baselining
High Peak Housing (2022)
- Total dwellings 43,183
- Council Housing 3,889
- Social Housing other 1,419
- Valid Energy Performance Certificates 19,548 (45 per cent all housing)
- Rated D-G 11,548
- Potential C or above 11,083
- Twenty-one per cent do not use mains gas heating.
Staffordshire Moorlands Housing (2021)
- Total dwellings 45,068
- Social Housing 3,834
- Valid Energy Performance Certificates 19,904 (44 per cent housing stock)
- Rated D-G 14,249
- Potential C or above 13,637.
The full datasets can be found on Sustenic, a platform that breaks down the domestic energy efficiency, and in particular energy efficient retrofit of housing in High Peak and Staffs.
Map types to be considered and used
- Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
- Grid connected
- Conservation Area
Funding stream options:
- Energy Company Obligation (ECO)4 – develops maximum take up through targeted proxies through flex. Ensure systems are in place to deal with enquires and signpost.
- ECO plus – targets households within relevant council tax bands.
- Warm Home Funding
- Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) – target areas and resolves uncertainty of conservation areas.
- Own scheme development
- Social Housing – work with partners and own stock assets.
Self-Funding – Building a business case and assess gaps
- Research options, include case studies and outline development requirements
- Outline advice available
- Holistic and rigorous procurement of supplier – ensuring the installer has a set level of skills + training is available and accessible for suppliers in the local area.
- Establish project management procedures – Project Initiation Documents (PIDs), project boards, Senior Responsible Officers etc.
- Outline the framework for extensive quality assurance.