The Local Government Association (LGA) Liberal Democrat Group Next Generation has been developed within the traditions and values of the Liberal Democrat party, drawing on a range of experts to create an unparalleled political development opportunity for participants.
Politics is the lifeblood of local government. At their best, politicians know and understand their communities personally, create aspirations out of local desires, draw compelling pictures of the future and bring people together to achieve great things. But, inspiring local communities and creating a better future for the people and places we represent takes ambitious leadership.
Who is this for?
Next Generation is a programme for talented and ambitious councillors who have demonstrated potential and would like to build on their skills to progress in a political career.
To apply your council must be in membership of the LGA.
I have genuinely enjoyed and valued every part of The Next Generation programme. It’s been fantastic to come together with a group of compassionate, dedicated and smart group of councillors, get to know each other and benefit from each other’s experience.
The training was invaluable – challenging me to think about what I want to get out of my councillor career, growing my skills and developing my understanding of how my role in local government plugs into the wider Liberal Democrat network. I highly recommend anyone who wants to develop and grow their career as a councillor to join this training – the trainers were fantastic, knowledgeable and made it a lot of fun.”
- Sarah Cheung Johnson, Liberal Democrat Councillor, South Cambridgeshire DC
I strongly recommend the Next Gen programme. It is an exclusive opportunity to politically increase your confidence, gain knowledge and network with other Lib Dem councillors across the country"
- William Houngbo, Liberal Democrat Councillor, London Borough of Southwark
The experience and insight I have gained from the LGA Next Gen programme is priceless and unparalleled. This is by far the best training I have received as a councillor, we have learnt a range of skills from internal and external political leadership to media management skills.”
- Tom Gordon, Liberal Democrat Councillor, Wakefield Metropolitan District Council
What we offer
The programme will consist of three residential training modules, which aim to:
- raise awareness of the different styles and approaches to political leadership
- help participants understand a distinctive Liberal Democrat approach to policy and governance
- enable participants to define their ‘vision’ for their council/ward/group
- increase confidence and awareness of the importance of communication and media skills
- help participants know more about their own personal strengths and weaknesses as a community and political leader
- develop participants’ understanding of the practical strategies to policymaking and best practice in Liberal Democrat groups and councils.
Module 1 (Study visit) 15 - 17 November 2021
Module 2 (Warwick) 21 - 23 January 2022
Module 3 (London) Tuesday 22 February 2022
These may change but applicants are encouraged to pencil them in their diaries.
How to apply
We offer a limited number of places per year and application is by way of a competitive process.
To apply, please fill out the online form.
As part of the application, we ask applicants to explain why they would like this development opportunity. We also ask for one reference from a political colleague or councillor and for applicants to commit to attend all three modules and undertake all programme work.
Next Generation residential training is available free of charge thanks to funding from the LGA Leadership and Localism Programme. The LGA is unable to cover travel expenses, however this can usually be recovered from your local authority.