We are working with ADASS to develop and deliver a support offer to help councils and their partners embed the Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) approach.
What is MSP?
Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) is a sector led initiative which aims to develop an outcomes focus to safeguarding work, and a range of responses to support people to improve or resolve their circumstances.
The work is supported by the LGA with the Association of Directors of Adult Social Care (ADASS) and other national partners and seeks to promote this approach and share good practice.
A series of tools to support MSP, measure effectiveness and improve safeguarding practice are also available.
MSP outcomes framework and final report
ADASS and the LGA appointed the Institute of Public Care (IPC) at Oxford Brookes University and Research in Practice for Adults (RiPfA) to develop an MSP outcomes framework. This will provide a means of promoting and measuring practice that supports an outcomes focus for safeguarding adults work.
Both will be used to drive the next phase of this work during 2018/19. If you would like to get involved in the implementation and development of the next phase of the MSP outcomes framework, please email email@example.com who is working with ADASS and the LGA on this project.
Support for developing audit questions and methodologies
The Making Safeguarding Personal Outcomes framework report (May 2018) underlines the importance of including qualitative information in developing an understanding the difference that safeguarding support makes for people. The report refers to the significance of case file audit within this.
Some examples of case file audit tools and guidance/methodologies are offered here. These have been shared by local authorities/Safeguarding Adults Boards where they might support others in developing audit methodologies.
The audit tools provide a range of approaches and strengths. They are shared in the spirit of mutual support with each offering support and ideas to those developing or revisiting approaches to audit. Each acknowledges the need to continually review and update the approach/tool as it is used in practice. They do not profess to offer perfection, rather a range of different approaches at varying levels of detail and some more specific to MSP than others.
- Multi-Agency Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) Audit for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland offers an example of a very detailed multiagency audit process for a selected small sample of cases. The audit was carried out across agencies with cases submitted for audit from across agencies. It included seeking the views of staff and of service users. The questions in relation to MSP from this very detailed multiagency audit are embedded on an ongoing basis in other themed audits carried out by the two SABs.
- Devon Safeguarding Adults Board; Safeguarding Adults Multi-Agency Case Audit Protocol offers an example of an audit tool / template and a methodology based around the six safeguarding adults statutory principles. It engages staff in learning through the audit process. It includes seeking the views of those who have been offered safeguarding support.
- London Borough of Newham audit tool and guidance offers a further example linking the audit to staff support and development. The approach was co-produced with staff. It has only been in use for a relatively short time and may, as its use indicates necessary, undergo adjustment. The tool indicates the importance of partnership working and staff development (including in the Mental Capacity Act) alongside a specific section of the audit which focuses on MSP.
- Case File Audit – Safeguarding - Quality Standards Guidance
- Multi agency safeguarding audit
- Draft case file audit tool SAB audit MSP February 2017
Resources for Safeguarding Adults Boards
This suite of resources is intended to support Safeguarding Adults Boards (SABs) and partners in developing and promoting MSP.
Working with risk
This range of resources is aimed at those on working with risk in the context of Making Safeguarding Personal, with a focus on Safeguarding Adults Boards.
Audio-visual resources on safeguarding adults
A range of organisations produced a number of resources to raise awareness of abuse and neglect of adults with care and support needs. Others tackled particular issues such as mate crime or hoarding.
Other resources to support work on safeguarding adults can be found here:
- Safeguarding list of resources: a consolidated list of key safeguarding resources for council, care provider and wider partners' staff
- MCA including DoLs: a list of key resources for councils and their partners on implementing the Mental Capacity Act including the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Top tips: financial abuse and scams: a resource for local leaders on recognising and responding to the signs of financial abuse
- Adult Safeguarding Community of Practice. more information and resources can be found on this Knowledge Hub group.