We are working with ADASS to develop and deliver a support offer to help councils and their partners embed the Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) approach.
What is MSP?
Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) is a sector led initiative which aims to develop an outcomes focus to safeguarding work, and a range of responses to support people to improve or resolve their circumstances.
The work is supported by the LGA with the Association of Directors of Adult Social Care (ADASS) and other national partners and seeks to promote this approach and share good practice.
A series of tools to support MSP, measure effectiveness and improve safeguarding practice are also available.
MSP outcomes framework and final report
ADASS and the LGA appointed the Institute of Public Care (IPC) at Oxford Brookes University and Research in Practice for Adults (RiPfA) to develop an MSP outcomes framework. This will provide a means of promoting and measuring practice that supports an outcomes focus for safeguarding adults work:
- Making Safeguarding Personal outcomes project final report
- Making Safeguarding Personal Outcomes framework (May 2018)
Case file audit
The MSP framework underlines the importance of including qualitative information in developing an understanding the difference that safeguarding support makes for people. It also refers to the significance of case file audit within this. Some local examples of case file audit tools and guidance/methodologies are offered here:
Resources for Safeguarding Adults Boards
This suite of resources is intended to support Safeguarding Adults Boards (SABs) and partners in developing and promoting MSP.
Working with risk
This range of resources is aimed at those on working with risk in the context of Making Safeguarding Personal, with a focus on Safeguarding Adults Boards.
Audio-visual resources on safeguarding adults
A range of organisations produced a number of resources to raise awareness of abuse and neglect of adults with care and support needs. Others tackled particular issues such as mate crime or hoarding.
'Must knows' for lead members for adult social care
The 'Must knows' are a long-standing source of information and support focusing on key issues facing portfolio holders. This must know looks at the role of local leaders in keeping people safe and promoting MSP.
Other resources to support work on safeguarding adults can be found here:
- Safeguarding list of resources: a consolidated list of key safeguarding resources for council, care provider and wider partners' staff
- MCA including DoLs: a list of key resources for councils and their partners on implementing the Mental Capacity Act including the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Top tips: financial abuse and scams: a resource for local leaders on recognising and responding to the signs of financial abuse
- Adult Safeguarding Community of Practice. more information and resources can be found on this Knowledge Hub group.