This standard is about supporting social workers to maintain their professional registration with the regulator.
All employers should
- be familiar with Social Work England’s professional standards for safe and effective practice and understand a social worker’s regulatory requirements to maintain their professional registration
- recognise that carrying out and recording CPD is a condition of a social workers registration renewal with Social Work England
- support social workers in upholding the regulator’s professional standards, which are specialist to social work, ensuring effective CPD opportunities and supervision are provided
- take appropriate steps to inform the regulator, co-operate with investigations and hearings carried out by the regulator, and respond appropriately to its findings and decisions if there are concerns about an employee’s fitness to practise
- be clear about the circumstances in which social workers should be referred to the regulator, and when they shouldn’t
- promote and encourage ethical practice so that social workers have the support and confidence to challenge unsafe practice and report concerns, in accordance with professional standards.