Physical activity is an important part of mental and physical wellbeing. Communities are now facing complex challenges resulting from increased living costs and the impact of COVID-19. The LGA is working with Sport England to support councils to co-create approaches with communities to help tackle health inequalities and encourage participation in the context on financial pressures.
Join the waiting list to hear about future officer and councillor sport and physical activity leadership programmes.
Leadership Essentials: Sport and physical activity for councillors
Join the waiting list to hear about future dates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programme aims
The programme supports elected members to:
- Engage with Sport England’s ten-year strategy ‘Uniting the Movement’, that continues to champion sport and physical activity’s ability to make better places to live and bring people together, and explore how taking a place-based approach can help tackle the barriers to activity.
- Develop in their role to lead the design of a local sport, physical activity and movement offer that improves activity levels and the health and wellbeing of local communities, contributes to reducing the burden on social care, tackles health inequalities and encourages connected communities.
- Develop knowledge and insight of other policy areas to better lead a collaborative approach to harnessing the power of sport, physical activity and movement to improve lives in their place.
- Explore their own approach to leadership in collaborative partnerships and see how leadership is important in influencing system change, identifying and pursuing development needs as appropriate.
- Create fit for purpose sport and physical activity opportunities with diminishing resources, focusing on the assets of their spaces and places – including leisure facilities and developing more active environments.
- Understand more about how Sport England and the LGA can help and support councillors to lead change and become better leaders for their places.
Officer leadership programme – coming soon
Please see below the programme outline. To register an interest please join the waiting list.
- Programme aims
This programme supports officers to:
- Engage with and influence the changes that will now need to take place in their organisations and the wider sector.
- Develop and enhance their collaborative leadership skills so they can support and influence the delivery of whole system change.
- Interact better with other service areas which include, but are not limited to as adult social care, public health, health and wellbeing.
- Engage with and better influence local political leadership. Better articulate and evidence their value and importance in a new and challenging environment.
- Build confidence and resilience in this work.
Tell us about your case studies and any potential areas of support you may need.
Your ideas and feedback help us to create training programmes that target the themes that are most important to you. If you are an elected member or a council officer, tell us about the themes and support that would be useful to you in 2023 by emailing email@example.com.