Useful tips to help ngdp candidates prepare for the upcoming assessment centres
We look forward to welcoming all our brilliant ngdp candidates to our upcoming assessment centres in London (1-7 March 2018) and Preston (12-16 March 2018).
To help you succeed, we have listed some useful tips below to help you prepare for the day.
- There is no required preparation for the assessment centre but you might feel more comfortable with a broad understanding of local government. A good place to start is the LGA website in general and the Growing Places section in particular.
- Make sure you know where the assessment centre is and how you will get there to avoid any unnecessary stress on the day
- The assessment centre will measure you against our core skills and behaviours – find them all and study them here.
- Try and get a good night’s sleep before the assessment centre – it will be an intense day.
- At the assessment centres we look forward to hearing your views on local government and ideas for the future
- The assessment centre will consist of three exercises: a group exercise, an individual briefing exercise and a written analysis exercise.
- Focus on yourself and do the best that you can. You are not competing with the other participants but being marked against a set standard of criteria.
- Each exercise is separate and distinct, so approach each with a positive attitude regardless of how the previous one went.
- Make sure you read all instructions before you start an exercise and don’t hesitate to ask for clarifications if you are unsure of anything.
- You will be assessed in a time pressured environment so make sure you keep an eye on the clock.
- If you get nervous during a presentation, take a moment to gather your thoughts, take a deep breath and then start again.
- During the group exercise you’re not trying to beat the other candidates, you are trying to work together.
- And finally: remember that there is no such thing as a typical ngdp national management trainee. Relax and be yourself – we want to see your passion and your personality!