Employers’ Secretary, Naomi Cooke
18 Smith Square, London, SW1P 3HZ
Telephone 020 7664 3000
e-mail: [email protected]
Employees’ Secretary, Matt Wrack
Bradley House, 68 Coombe Rd
Kingston upon Thames KT2 7AE
Telephone 020 8541 1765
National Joint Council for local authority fire and rescue services
To: Chairs of Fire Authorities
Chief Fire Officers
Chief Executives/Clerks to Fire Authorities
Directors of HR (Fire Authorities)
23 December 2022
FBU trade dispute – major incident agreements
1. You will be aware that the FBU is currently undertaking a strike action ballot of its members in respect of this year’s pay negotiations.
2. The NJC invests considerable time and effort into maintaining and improving industrial relations, jointly supporting a positive approach to resolving and managing difficulties and disagreements both at national and local level. It is a disappointment for both parties that unusually the pay negotiation is, as yet, unresolved and the matter of dispute.
3. Given that joint commitment to industrial relations and mindful of the potential for the ballot outcome to support strike action by FBU members as well as the need for fire and rescue authorities and services to plan in advance, the NJC explored the possibility of providing a protocol, by agreement, in respect of a major incident should there be strike action relating to this dispute.
4. We write to advise you that strategic framework agreements to facilitate and assist detailed discussion at local level have now been agreed.
Appendix 1 relates to England.
Appendix 2 relates to Scotland.
Appendix 3 relates to Wales.
Appendix 4 relates to Northern Ireland.
5. We therefore encourage the local parties to meet to discuss implementation should it become necessary.
6. For the avoidance of doubt, the approach and principles within the attached documents would cover all striking FBU members, including those in control rooms.
7. Such agreement does not diminish the intention of both parties to resolve this dispute as soon as possible. Discussions will continue.
Response to Major Incidents combined circular - accessible version