Our highly valued peer challenges programme provided councils with effective insight, guidance, and challenge to enable continuous improvement.
In 2022/23, we delivered a wide range of peer challenges and peer support, including service specific peer challenges and Corporate Peer Challenges (CPCs). CPCs are at the heart of our Sector Support programme, offering a focused look across the key areas that help make a good council: local priorities and outcomes, governance, organisational and place leadership, financial planning and management and capacity for improvement. The peer challenge programme is delivered by expert councillor and officer peers and supported by our experienced regional support teams.
During 2022/23, our Peer Challenges programme delivered 143 instances of peer challenge / remote peer support, including 55 Corporate Peer Challenges / Finance Peer Challenges (FPCs) with highlights including:
- 100 per cent of respondents indicated that that the process of preparing for and participating in a CPC / FPC had a positive impact on their council
- 98 per cent of respondents were satisfied with the CPC or FPC that their council received
- peers provided 1,285 peer days of challenge and support to councils
- we have increased the diversity of LGA peers – the overall percentage of active female councillor and officer peers has increased to 45 per cent
- six per cent of active peers declared a disability (an increase from four per cent from the previous year)
- 18 per cent of peers said they were from a background other than 'white British'.