The One Public Estate programme is an established national programme delivered in partnership by the LGA and the Office of Government Property (OGP) within the Cabinet Office.
One Public Estate began in 2013 with just 12 areas, but today we are working with more than 300 councils on projects transforming local communities and public services right across the country.
How we work
OPE is an established national programme delivered in partnership by the Office of Government Property (OGP) within the Cabinet Office and the Local Government Association (LGA). It provides practical and technical support and funding to councils to deliver ambitious property-focused programmes in collaboration with central government and other public sector partners.
OPE partnerships across the country have shown the value of working together across the public sector and taking a strategic approach to asset management. At its heart, the programme is about getting more from our collective assets - whether that’s catalysing major service transformation such as health and social care integration and benefits reform; unlocking land for new homes and commercial space; or creating new opportunities to save on running costs or generate income. This is encompassed in three core objectives:
- creating economic growth (new homes and jobs)
- delivering more integrated, customer-focused services
- Generating efficiencies, through capital receipts and reduced running costs.
By 2019-20 the programme is now set to generate 44,000 jobs, releasing land for 25,000 homes, raising £615 million in capital receipts from sales, and cutting running costs by £158 million.
In 2017 OPE expanded its partnership to include the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government’s (MHCLG) new Land Release Fund (LRF), a fund which supports councils to delivery of new homes on their land. Together OPE and LRF will create a wider support package to unlock more surplus public land and property to support housing delivery.
- Asset mapping
- Generating ideas; a shared vision shaping for public sector assets
- Bringing public sector partners together
- Establishing an appropriate partnership with senior buy-in
- Seed funding and ongoing professional support
- Establishing a vision and programme of work for your partnership.
- Regional support from LGA and OGP
- Access across central government
- Sharing OPE best practice and case studies
- Opportunities workshops to develop your programme of work
- Support to change policy to assist local delivery
- Technical support on benchmarking and data.